The following checklist will help you prepare for that home inspection or your buyer's home inspection.
The items below should be done PRIOR to the home inspection:
- Turn on all services including water, gas and electricity.
- Make sure that attic is made accessible. If your real estate agent will be meeting with the home inspector, make sure she knows where the entry to the attic is!
- Make sure that under floor crawl space is accessible. Again, make sure that your real estate agent knows where the entry point is.
- Heater(s) should be accessible
- Electrical panel needs to be accessible.
- Take your pets out of the house or backyard. Have a friend pet sit them for awhile.
- Disclose any and all problems that you know about the property.
- If you have documentation like building plans, guarantees, operating instructions, etc, have it available.
- Write a note explaining any special operations of things especially if you have special switches operating certain lights, etc. Don't forget about the pool and spa area, if you have one and any special instructions for these amenities.
Items that could enhance the outcome of the home inspection:
- Service and clean your air conditioning and heating systems.
- Make sure that all built-in appliances are operable and clean.
- Same thing goes for the exhaust fan(s) - operable and clean.
- Make sure that your laundry dryer vent is clean.
- Water heater has to be strapped.
- Smoke detectors have to be installed in correct locations.
- Have your pool cleaned and make sure that the equipment is operable and accessible.
- Make sure that the gutters are repaired and cleared of debris
- Have your chimney(s) cleaned.
- Ensure that windows and doors are operating and any broken parts are repaired.
Interested in more information about Greater Pasadena Area cities, check out our City Guides below:
And, if you are interested in fun activities to do, take a look at our 365 Things To Do In Pasadena® page.
Thinking of selling your home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call Irina Netchaev at (626) 629-8439 to discuss what is happening in today’s Southern California Real Estate Market.